Pages

Feeding the Carnivores

a fairly recent addition last year, a tropical sundew

I am obsessed with carnivorous plants.

It started as a single pitcher plant four years ago when we first moved into this house. And now? Well, I think I might have a problem. I have twenty-one of them. And I want more...lol.

My first plant is front left, in the orange pot. This is the first year it has bloomed


Another of my first plants, the pitchers are getting really tall. The tallest currently is probably about 2 feet


I was honestly surprised how little effort they take, so long as they have the right growing conditions. They do best outdoors (at least the cold hardy varieties do), in full sun with poor soil. They just have to stay in water. They go dormant in the winter, and they seem to do best if they have a dormancy period. By mid spring they revive and the pitchers throw out blooms. And they have beautiful and unique blossoms. 


The plants all have no smell EXCEPT this one. The flowers smell a little like cat urine. yech


LOVE the blooms in this grouping of north american pitcher plants
 
Behold my brood of bug eaters. By the end of summer they are stuffed with bugs. I love it.


The classic venus fly trap. It will be much bigger by the end of summer

My first pitcher plant and probably my current favorite in the background, a stag horn sundew
  
this venus fly trap is still itty bitty

sundews are like glistening death traps
 
itty bitty sundews in a sarracenia pot
 
beautiful striped hoods on our newest plant

the fullest the blooms get




No comments: