Pages

Training Days

It begins.

My summer has a big To-Do List looming over it. Hopefully I will be accepted into a nursing program. I want to begin biking again in an attempt to fatten my wallet and fortify my lung muscles. These final oh-so-damn-stubborn thirty pounds need to come off. I would like to tackle some longer distance backpacking trips since one of my life goals is to someday thru-hike the Pacific Crest Trail. But, one thing at a time.

One of the more immediate items on the upcoming To-Do List is some mountain climbing. Not technical, true mountaineering but rather some long, stamina testing slogs up non-technical slopes. My friend Chris and I have been toying around with the idea of a Mount Hood summit (actually the truth is Chris is the alpinist, I just invited myself along. He'll be babysitting that climb if it happens). It's been ten years since I stood on the summit of any Cascade peak. I would love to revisit Helens again and see her new lava dome. South Sister was one of my all time favorite combination backpacks/hikes ever, and I have always wanted to attempt a Mount Adams summit. In order for any of these climbs to be even remotely successful, not to mention not mortifying myself in front of Chris, I need to get my legs back.

My Portland backyard happens to be perfect for this. Many, many hikes in the gorge do double duty as conditioning hikes for mountaineers. Over the next month or so, I hope to tackle most of them. Some of them I know, some will be new for me. We'll see how snow conditions improve or worsen.

I am going to be so sore.

Every guidebook/source says something slightly different, so mileages & elevation gains listed here are from Portland Hikers (except Augspurger, which is from NW Hiker):

Dog Mountain: 7.0 miles, 2800 feet
Hamilton Mountain: 8.0 miles, 2100 feet
Nesmith Point: 10.6 miles, 3800 feet
Larch Mountain: 14.4 miles, 4010 feet
Augspurger Mountain: 15.8 miles, 4150 feet
Table Mountain from Aldrich Butte: 8.0 miles, 3350 feet
Mount Defiance: 10.2 miles, 4840 feet

No comments: